The Lift Kata
Since lifts are everywhere and they contain software, how easy would it be to write a basic one? Let’s TDD a lift, starting with simple behaviors and working toward complex ones. Assume good input from calling code and concentrate on the main flow.
Here are some suggested lift features:
- a lift responds to calls containing a source floor and direction
- a lift has an attribute floor, which describes it’s current location
- a lift delivers passengers to requested floors
- you may implement current floor monitor
- you may implement direction arrows
- you may implement doors (opening and closing)
- you may implement DING!
- there can be more than one lift
- a lift does not respond immediately. consider options to simulate time, possibly a tick method.
- lift calls are queued, and executed only as the lift passes a floor
Can you write a lift that does not need to be queried? Try writing a lift that only sends messages to other objects.
Image by Cat Robinson Original Kata Source